An important part of ensuring a healthy and safe environment for everyone on-site is to have effective contractor selection and management. The following key steps should be followed by the Principal Contractor:
- Consider health and safety risks prior to selecting contractors
- Discuss the project with potential contractors to make sure they are capable
- Document the process and store it in the HazardCo Hub
- Ensure prospective contractors have effective health and safety procedures in place
- Keep records of contractors’ prequalification
- Select the contractors based on prequalification outcome and any other factors including availability, skills, etc
- Create a Project in the HazardCo Hub, which creates a Site Specific Safety Plan, QR code, and Hazard Board. Share the information with contractors.
- Ensure induction expectations are understood by all workers, contractors, and visitors.
- Ensure all contractors have reviewed and agreement is reached and documented.
Monitor and Review
- Regular communication regarding health and safety performance (e.g. Toolbox Meetings, Site Reviews, Site Inductions, etc.)
- Investigate any incidents and follow up on any outstanding issues.
- Regular review during the project lifecycle (e.g. Site Reviews)
- Post contract review – It’s good practice to review the performance of your contractors at the end of the project.
Stay on top of these checks with an automated system.
When you’ve got a lot of contractors coming and going, it can turn into a bit of a headache trying to stay on top of checking all these documents. We’ve created a simple, automated system to nail the pre-qualification of your contractors before you begin working with them, to reduce the risk to your business.
Find out more about HazardCo’s Pre-Qualification Tools here