Moving to Alert Level 3 – Construction
This afternoon, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced that New Zealand will be moving down alert levels to Alert Level 3 from 11:59pm Tuesday 31st August. Auckland and Northland will remain in level 4, likely for a further two weeks. Cabinet will review this on Monday, and we will provide an update when we know more.
At Alert Level 3, everyone should work from home if they can. Construction can operate, but with restrictions. This includes physical distancing, having extra hygiene measures and contactless options for ordering, pick-up, delivery and payment. If your business does not have measures in place to operate safely, then you should close.
What does Alert Level 3 look like on construction sites?
You need to:
- Display the NZ COVID Tracer app QR code at points of entry
- Make sure EVERYONE Signs in and signs out when they arrive and leave site
- Maintain physical distance guidelines, which is 2 metres unless you regularly work together and can create a work bubble which requires a 1 metre distance
- Ensure you complete a Level 3 TA (you can use this as your COVID-19 Plan) make sure you share it with your team before turning up to site
- Wear a facemask or face covering, these are strongly recommended at all times you are outside your home
- Coordinate works to ensure, unless unavoidable, that only one trade is operating on a single site at any given time
- Limit interaction between groups of workers, for example stagger meal breaks between these groups
- Avoid sharing items and disinfect surfaces between use, including tools and machinery
- Ensure everyone continues maintaining high hygiene standards including thoroughly washing hands, it’s a good idea to have a had sanitising station at your work site or in your vehicle
If you’re entering a home or other workplace:
- Keep a two metre distance from the occupants. Send the client induction link to your customer before you arrive
- Keep a record of where you have been and who you have been in contact with, you can use the NZ COVID Tracer app QR code and manually enter the address that you are at.
- Avoid sharing items and disinfect surfaces including PPE, tools and machinery
- Continue to maintain high hygiene standards including thoroughly washing your hands
- Wear a facemask or face covering
For a more in-depth look at Alert Level 3, download our poster below:
You can still purchase our ‘stop the spread’ COVID board to remind people about safe working, as well as the HazardCo hand sanitation stations (please note: stock is limited).
Remember to have your NZ COVID Tracer app QR code displayed at your workplace entrance or on your work vehicle. To order a poster or reprint one, click here.
As more information becomes available we will continue to keep you updated on how this affects you and our construction industry. You can refer to CHASNZ COVID-19 H&S protocols for New Zealand residential construction sites here.